WHAT IS PLAQUE BIOFILM GROWTH
Within minutes of brushing, a thin, sticky substance called plaque builds up on your teeth each day. This substance doubles every 1-2 hours and if tooth or dental plaque is not removed, it can compromise your oral health.
Plaque biofilm grows rapidly. The image to the left shows plaque biofilm from the mouth beginning to appear within minutes. On the right, microbes have formed a colony within days.
BRUSHING YOUR TEETH IS NOT ENOUGH
Plaque control is difficult to achieve through teeth brushing and flossing alone. So, if you aren’t brushing and flossing in the correct ways, these oral health habits alone may not be enough to control plaque or the development of gingivitis and cavities.
WHOLE MOUTH CLEAN WITH A MOUTHWASH RINSE
In just 30 seconds, a mouthwash from our Listerine® Antiseptic Collection can penetrate deep into plaque biofilm to kill the remaining bacteria. A proper oral care routine that incorporates brushing, flossing, and rinsing with mouthwash offers a virtually 100% WHOLE MOUTH CLEAN.
Brushing and flossing reach
Adding a rinse cleanse the other
For a virtually
Whole Mouth Clean
When added to brushing and flossing, a mouthwash such as LISTERINE® Antiseptic Cool Mint significantly reduces more plaque and gingivitis than brushing and flossing alone.10
- 52% greater plaque reduction at 6 months when added to brushing and flossing1
- 21% greater gingivitis reduction compared to brushing and flossing1-3
- Sharma N, Charles CH, Lynch MC, et al. Adjunctive benefit of an essential oil-containing mouthrinse in reducing plaque and gingivitis in patients who brush and floss regularly: a six-month study. J Am Dent Assoc. 2004;135(4):496-504.
- Charles CH, Mostler KM, Bartels LL, Mankodi SM. Comparative antiplaque and antigingivitis effectiveness of a chlorhexidine and an essential oil mouthrinse: 6-month clinical trial. J Clin Periodontol. 2004;31(10):878-884.
- Lisante TA, Charles C, Qaqish J, Sharma N, Junker L. Efficacy of brush, floss, rinse regiments vs mechanical oral hygiene. Presented at: 86th General Session of the International Association for Dental Research; March 16-19, 2011; San Diego CA.